Sonata-Sonatina Festival is an opportunity for students and Forum Members to perform for a judge as well as their peers in a special recital.
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2018
Location: St. Cecilia Music Center 24 Ransom NE
Enrollment Deadline: October 12th, 2018
Fees: $10 for Forum Members or their students $12 for students of non-forum members, plus a one-time $15 entry fee
SONATA-SONATINA FESTIVAL RULES
1. In order to be eligible to enter students in the Sonata-Sonatina Festival, a Piano Forum member must be a member in good standing.
2. Any piano student of any age who studies with an eligible member teacher is eligible to participate. Member teachers who teach another instrument (excluding organ) may also register students of that instrument. Accompanists will not be provided by the Forum, although teachers may accompany their own students. Members are encouraged to perform as soloists. Piano students of non-member teachers may participate as long as additional fees are met. Non-member teachers may not enter students of an instrument other than piano.
3. Any one movement of a work with the title "Sonata" or "Sonatina" may be played. This includes works from any musical period, with no restriction to form. Duet or other ensemble works are allowed only if originally written in that form by the composer. Ensemble arrangements of solo works are not acceptable.
4. Compositions must be performed from memory, without repeats. The judge must be supplied with a printed publisher's copy of the edition used by the student, with each measure numbered. No photo copies are to be submitted unless the work is permanently out of print and a permission letter from the publisher accompanies the registration form. Written evaluations of each performance will be mailed to the participating teachers.
5. Non-refundable participation fees are as follows: a. Students of Piano Forum members: $10.00 b. Piano Forum members who are performing: $10.00 c. Students of non-Piano Forum members: $12.00 d. Cover fee for non-Piano Forum members: $15.00
6. A single check from each teacher, made payable to Piano Teachers' Forum of Grand Rapids and covering all applicable fees from that teacher's studio, should be clipped to the student enrollment forms and submitted to the Festival Chair no later than the deadline listed on the enrollment form.
7. Teachers are required to fill out enrollment forms themselves. Forms that have obviously been filled out by students or parents will be returned to the teacher for resubmission. All information must be complete, accurate and legible in order for the student to qualify. Please take special care to include the number of the movement being performed. Special time considerations should be noted in the margin and circled with red ink. Teachers may register as many students as they wish, but must plan to work on Festival day if submitting 10 or more applications.
8. A list of students' recital times will be mailed to each teacher when scheduling is completed.
9. Students should wear clothing appropriate for a performance of this nature and should be prepared to remain in the room for the entire 40-50 minute recital.